Tuesday 27 October 2009

Books

In this godless modern world there are frequent and shrill shouts telling us that the book is dead. As an avowed technophile and owner of a Sony e-book reader, I may have even lent my voice to the cacophony. I am here today to atone. The book is not dead, it is just different and, arguably, better. For about 6 or 7 years now, and to almost universal acclaim, McSweeney's has been publishing books that rise above that designation. As a subscriber to their "Quarterly Concern" you would have received a book that looks like a pile of mail, a book that is really 8 tiny hardback books in a dainty little box, a selection of books about Latin American revolutionary behaviour stored in a cigar box, and, for some reason, a black plastic comb.

The reason I bring this up now is that McSweeney's are having an unbelievable sale. For all those of you with jobs I highly recommend dropping 100 USD, which will get you at least 10 books including the postage. Believe me, you will feel all of the positive feelings associated with robbing a baby when the books turn up in all their unconventionally packaged glory. I cannot recommend it enough.

0 comments:

Post a Comment